Most homeowners know that at some point they will need to replace their deck. The problem is that many people do not know when the time is right to replace it.
Your home has always been the gathering place. Every friend, family member, and neighbor loves to hang out there, but these days your guests avoid stepping out onto your once-popular deck, no matter the weather. It might need to be replaced, but that’s so expensive! Don’t worry, your deck can be restored to look brand new again with a simple cleaning.
In this article, we will explore the signs that you should replace your deck and when it is better to just clean it.
Signs You Should Clean Vs. Replace Your Deck
Cleaning Your Deck
Cleaning your deck will not only make it look better but also help to extend its life. You should give your deck a good cleaning at least once a year, but depending on the location and how often it is used, you might need to clean it more. If your deck is made of pressure-treated lumber, it can last up to 40 years.
If you have a wood deck, there are a few things you should look for before deciding if it just needs a cleaning or if it is time to replace it:
– Check for rot: Look for signs of rot, such as black spots or cracks in the wood. These can be repaired, but if the rot is widespread, it might be time to replace the deck.
– Check for splinters: If the wood is splintering, it is time for a new deck.
– Look for loose nails or screws: These can be replaced or tightened, but if there are too many, it might be a sign that the deck is deteriorating.
If you have a composite deck, it will probably last longer than a wood deck, but it will still need to be cleaned. You should look for the following signs that indicate it is time to replace your composite deck:
– Cracks: Small cracks can usually be repaired, but if the cracks are large or numerous, it is probably time to replace the deck.
– Fading: Composite decks will fade over time. This can be minimized by using a composite that has UV protection, but eventually, it will need to be replaced.
– Mold or mildew: If mold or mildew is present, you might be able to clean it, but if it is widespread, you will probably need to replace the deck.
If you decide that your deck just needs a good cleaning, there are a few things you should do:
– Sweep it: Use a broom to sweep away any dirt or debris.
– Clean it: You can use a power washer or a hose
With a moldy, discolored deck space, many people simply throw in the towel. But with our gentle yet effective power washing techniques, Clean Pros can fix your deck right up so it looks brand new.
Replacing Your Deck
No matter how good we are, Clean Pros cannot clean away a hole in your deck. If your deck has actual structural damage, then you need to look for a repairman or maybe just get it replaced.
If you’re not sure, here are some signs that definitely scream “time for a new deck”:
– The wood is soft: Push on the boards to see if they give. If they do, it means the wood is deteriorating and needs to be replaced.
– The ledger board is rotted: The ledger board is the board that attaches the deck to your house. If it is rotted, the deck is not stable and needs to be replaced.
– The posts are rotted: Check the posts to see if they are solid. If they are not, the deck is not safe and needs to be replaced.
This summer, make the most of your deck by giving it a good scrubbing and bring back all your favorite guests. After Clean Pros has a whack at it, your guests will be in awe that you didn’t get a brand new deck to replace your old one.